Friday, September 14, 2012

PHOTO OF THE WEEK: mohagany wasp vs. wolf spider


PHOTO OF THE WEEK:


Taken in a Skiatook, Oklahoma barn.
August 2012

I was feeding the horses when my boyfriends parents yelled for me to check this out (they know my love of insect weirdness). I ran into the barn to find this Mahogany wasp carrying this spider across the barn floor. 
The spider is almost bigger than the wasp, so it looked really neat.  I ran as fast as I could out of the barn, across the yard, into the house and up the stairs to grab my camera and back again just in time. 
Luckily I made it just as the wasp tried to carry the spider under a bunch of cables...

Mahogany wasp vs. wolf spider

The wasp won, it carried this wolf spiders body across an entire barn to find the right spot to lay its eggs in the host spider.




No comments:

Post a Comment